So WHY do we BATCHCOOK and meal prep? Well the answer is simple! It helps us to cook less, clean less, spend less and waste less! It is also a great way to help keep us accountable on the KETO LIFESTYLE! You can meal prep and batchcook in whatever way is best for you, but there are some basic tips that really help to make it beneficial and actually simplify your life! In the spirit of simplicity I have created a list of Batchcooking TIPS for you to consider in order to make this something that really helps you elevate your meal prep game and keep you on the KETO TRAIN!
- WRITE IT DOWN-write down not only your meal plan but your meal prep plan. So many of us make a good plan but then do not plan to actually cook or prep the food. Pick a day of the week where you prep and/or cook your food so you create intentions that become actions steps. This routine will help you in so many ways!
- LAY IT OUT-lay out all of your ingredients. Before you start cooking, lay it all out. Pull out your storage containers, your ingredients, ALL OF IT! It may seem overwhelming at first but as you work through it, you will feel super happy with the checking things off your plan
- TAKE OUT SPICES-Decide what spices you need for the meals you are making. Take them out and season meals as you are cooking multiple meals at once. This will save you time by going back and forth during the cooking process.
- PREPARE YOUR CONTAINERS (and kitchen)-One to two days before you decide to cook, prepare your kitchen ahead of time. Go through your fridge and clean it out, make sure all of your storage containers are clean and ready to go, empty your sink and dishwasher and wake up on your batchcooking day READY TO COOK and PREP!
- BATCHTASK-think of tasks that you can do together! Brown your meats at the same time, cook several things in the oven at once, cut ALL of your veggies at the same time. This tip will save you tons of time and energy and will keep the flow moving and motivation high!
- CLEAN AS YOU GO-cleaning as you go is the way to not have a huge task to take on when finished. Keep a sink full of sudsy water or build in breaks to wipe counters down and empty the sink as you can. Something cooking in the oven? Clear your sink and put some things away that you are finished with…trust me, you will thank me at the end of the session!
- SET UP STATIONS-cook like things together and if you can try to cook meals with different methods. I will have a crockpot and instant pot set up to the left of my stove WHILE the oven is going and my veggies are ready to be chopped on the right side of the stove. Think ahead of time where and how you will be cooking and you will move faster.
- MAXIMIZE COOKING ORDER-Cutting veggies? Do that first then move into cooking on the stove. Making hard boiled eggs and a stroganoff? Do the eggs first in the instant pot then empty it and make your stroganoff after. Being intentional with the cooking order of your items will make it all seem less daunting:)
YOU GOT THIS! Remember BATCHCOOKING is a way for you to have more time and for you to cook less, clean less, waste less and spend less during the week…it is also a great way to have PREPARED HEALTHY KETO ITEMS ready to go so you aren’t tempted at the last second.
HAPPY BATCHCOOKING! PIN THIS FOR LATER!