Thank you to my hubby for helping with this recipe. Being from Jamaica, the patty is a staple and trying to create a keto version was something I have been wanting to do for a VERY LONG TIME! GUESS what??? We have his approval! He LOVES it and says that the texture and taste is on point! YOU HAVE to try these and make them for your family! YEAH MON!
BEEF MIXTURE: (our own recipe)
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1lb. ground beef (preferably grass-fed)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 scallion (chopped)
- 1 tsp. dry thyme
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- ½ scotch bonnet (seeded and minced–optional)
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. sugar-free ketchup
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup water or stock
DOUGH: (adapted from original FATHEAD dough recipe)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons of cream cheese
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup of psyllium husk
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- Heat the 1 tbsp. of avocado oil in a large skillet or instant pot (saute feature) on medium high heat and sauté the minced onion and scallion until light brown for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the beef and remaining ingredients.
- Cook until brown, and then add water or stock.
- Allow to simmer for another 5-7 minutes and thicken for until most of the liquid cooks off.
- Allow it to cool down completely before using with the pastry (refrigerate if necessary).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a microwave safe bowl add the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese and microwave for 30 seconds until softened and melted.
- If needed microwave for an additional 30 seconds to completely melt and incorporate together and allow to cool for 2 minutes.
- Combine the seasonings (curry and turmeric) with almond flour and psyllium husk.
- Mix the dry ingredients, the cheese mixture and slowly add in the egg and fully combine to form the dough.
- Knead with your hands until a dough forms with the ingredients.
- Take the dough into a ball shape and place it between two pieces of parchment paper to flatten with a rolling pin.
- Create circular shapes with a cookie cutter, cup or lid about 5-7 inches in diameter and about 1/3 to 1/4 inch in depth.
- Fill patties with about 2 tbsp. of mixture on one side and fold over to seal with a fork.
- Place patties on parchment lined baking sheet and poke holes for venting purposes on top of the patty.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and crispy and makes about 7-8 patties.