Have you ever tried saltfish? It is a dried fish that is cured in salt and a popular mainstay in many Carribean dishes. These saltfish fritters are delicious and are popular to have for breakfast or brunch!
- ¼ lb. saltfish (Bacalao salted cod; soaked for 3-4 hours, flaked and drained)
- ½ onion (minced)
- 1 scallion (minced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (minced and seeded)
- 1 tsp. dry thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 egg
- coconut oil for frying
- Add soaked, drained and flaked saltfish into a bowl with the flour.
- Combine all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl until it has the consistency of a thick pancake mixture.
- Heat a skillet on medium high and add coconut oil
- Add a few scoops of the batter to the pan like thick pancakes.
- Fry on each side for 5 minutes on first side and 5 minutes on the opposite side or until golden brown.
- Finish the batter by repeating the previous steps.