If you haven’t tried OXTAL OMG! You need to make this now!!! This is my husband’s family recipe and when he makes it EVERYONE looks forward to it!
- 2-3lb. of oxtail
- 5 cups of water
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 scallion (chopped)
- ½ a scotch bonnet pepper (minced) *optional
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 4 sprigs of fresh or 2 tbs. of dry thyme
- ½ tsp. of ground allspice
- 1 tsp. of salt
- ½ tsp. of pepper
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 tbsp. of coconut oil or avocado for frying
- Put the oxtail in a big mixing bowl and rub the salt, pepper, allspice, and thyme into the oxtail.
- In the same bowl, combine the scallion, scotch bonnet pepper, garlic, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce on top of the oxtail.
- Let the meat ‘season’ in the refrigerator overnight (or a few hours at minimum)
- On high heat, fry/pan sear the just the oxtail in coconut or avo oil in the bottom of a Dutch oven or other pan for about 10 minutes (try to leave out the chopped vegetables).
- After the oxtail is seared and nicely brown, stir in the water and remaining chopped vegetables from the marinade.
- Cover the pan to let it stew in its own juices.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook the oxtail until it has softened (about 3 hours).
- Stir only occasionally and keep covered–allow to simmer and thicken.
- Oxtail is ready when tender…ENJOY!
PIN THIS FOR LATER!